May 29, 2012

A healthy snack recipe that is neither healthy nor a snack.

Are you trying to lose 10 pounds for summer? Boy, do I have the recipe for you. Butter + peanut butter + chocolate = Weight Watchers approved fasho. I will probably get sued by WW for saying that.


Speaking of getting sued, how in the hell has Nutella not come under any sort of legal fire before? I believe the container proclaims that their product is part of a healthy breakfast. Yep, kids! Just slather a big nice layer of Nutella on your wonder bread before school! Let's just pay no mind to the fact that ingredient #1 is sugar. It's the perfect brain food for that big test, I always say.

They may as well eat these peanut butter cupcakes at 7am...which actually might not be a bad idea. As a snobby peanut butter enthusiast, I would have to say these are damn good. This frosting? THIS is what I would choose to eat for the rest of my life if I was only able to eat one thing. I would be super skinny. That or top ramen. I clearly have sophisticated taste buds. Luckily for me (and not so much for my bod) there was quite a bit of frosting left over. Before my roommate and I did some serious work on it, I had visions of all the things I could smother it on: bananas, pretzels, brownies, small children...wait, what?

Because it's not socially acceptable to eat spoonfuls of buttercream frosting outside the confinement of your own home, this magic has to go on something. So it obvs belongs on chocolate. Holy hell.


Yes, I realize these pictures look like shit and my table is extremely disgusting and probably unsanitary. So sue me.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from AllRecipes and How Sweet It Is

Chocolate cupcakes
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 tbl butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk

Peanut butter buttercream
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup peanut butter
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tbl milk
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Stir in the vanilla.

3. Add the flour mixture alternatively with the milk. Beat well.

4. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

5. For the buttercream, cream butter and peanut butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer. Add powdered sugar with mixer on low speed and gradually add milk and vanilla extract. Mix until frosting is smooth. If too thick, add more milk. If too thin, add more sugar. Frost cupcakes as desired.


2 comments:

  1. I don't care how gross you think your table is, those cupcakes look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. About nutella...

    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/02/04/california-mom-sues-nutella-alleging-hyped-nutrition-claims/

    ReplyDelete